Road reopens to Cascade Pass trailhead in N. Cascades
The road closed about 3 miles from the trailhead on Aug. 11 after a huge downpour washed out the road. The washout stranded many hikers on the other side. The park service helped those who were stranded by providing food and water. On Aug. 12, a temporary fix was in place and the hikers were able to drive out.
The fix of the road is still temporary, but it has been deemed sufficiently stable and approved by the park service. The parks staff is considering options for a permanent fix.
The trailhead is extremely popular. It offers access to Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm, as well as other hikes.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
- Parks, Forest Service go fee-free for MLK Day Jan. 14
- Learn the basics of boating at upcoming classes Jan. 9
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.