Fall classes: The North Cascades Institute has a number of fall classes coming up, starting in late September. There is a handy list here.
Ambitious adventure: Starting on Tuesday, Gavin Woody, the Mountaineers president, plans to run the 221 John Muir Trail. He's running the trail to raise money for the Mountaineers' youth programs. That's a long run! Read about it here. Once he starts running, you can follow updates on his Facebook page.
Sexy dancing: Rich Landers at the Spokesman-Review has an amusing post. He saw Miley Cyrus twerking and thought of the mating dance of the albatross.
Quite a catch: Also from Rich is this photo of an osprey with a really big fish. How did it get up there with that thing?
The disposable man: Outside magazine has an excellent article, on Nepal's Sherpas who do extremely dangerous work on Mount Everest. "It's a lucrative way of life in a poor region, but no service industry in the world so frequently kills and maims its workers for the benefit of paying clients." You can find an interview with the author here.
Go hiking: Tmber has five suggestions for Labor Day hikes.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
- Trip on the PCT is life changing for creator of popular podcast Sep. 27
- Youth volunteers spend two weeks working on PCT Sep. 27
- State parks, national parks, forest service sites will be free on Saturday Sep. 23
- Dance, dine and help underserved kids get outside Sep. 17
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.