The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

N. Korea holds up possible release of Lynnwood man

  • This 2011 file family photo provided by Terri Chung shows Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood. The State Department says North Korea has rescinded its invitation ...

    Photo courtesy of Terri Chung

    This 2011 file family photo provided by Terri Chung shows Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood. The State Department says North Korea has rescinded its invitation for a senior U.S. envoy to travel to Pyongyang to seek the release of a detained American. Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights, was due to travel from Tokyo to Pyongyang Friday to request a pardon and amnesty for Bae, who has been sentenced to 15 years of hard labor by the authoritarian state, accused of subversion.

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Pinterest icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Hyung-Jin Kim
Associated Press
Published:
  • This 2011 file family photo provided by Terri Chung shows Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood. The State Department says North Korea has rescinded its invitation ...

    Photo courtesy of Terri Chung

    This 2011 file family photo provided by Terri Chung shows Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood. The State Department says North Korea has rescinded its invitation for a senior U.S. envoy to travel to Pyongyang to seek the release of a detained American. Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights, was due to travel from Tokyo to Pyongyang Friday to request a pardon and amnesty for Bae, who has been sentenced to 15 years of hard labor by the authoritarian state, accused of subversion.

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea said it rescinded its invitation for a U.S. envoy to visit the country to seek the freedom of an American detainee because Washington perpetrated a "grave provocation" by allegedly mobilizing nuclear-capable bombers during recent military drills with Seoul.
Bob King, the U.S. special envoy for North Korean human rights, had been scheduled to travel to Pyongyang on Friday for talks on Kenneth Bae, of Lynnwood, who has been detained since November for committing "hostile acts." Bae, a 45-year-old tour operator and Christian missionary, was sentenced in April to 15 years of hard labor.
An unidentified North Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman said in remarks carried by state media late Saturday that his country intended to allow King's visit even though the U.S. and South Korea were conducting annual military drills.
But he said the U.S. "beclouded the hard-won atmosphere of humanitarian dialogue in a moment" by allegedly infiltrating B-52H strategic bombers into the sky above the peninsula during the exercises. He called it "the most blatant nuclear blackmail against us."
The annual Ulchi Freedom Guardian drills, which ended Friday, were computer-simulated war games that U.S. and South Korea say are defensive in nature, but which North Korea calls a rehearsal for an invasion. The U.S. military command in Seoul did not immediately comment on the North Korean statement.
Earlier this year, the U.S. took the unusual step of sending nuclear-capable B-52 and B-2 bombers to participate in springtime military drills with South Korea as tension was running high after a string of warlike rhetoric from North Korea, including vows to launch nuclear war. The flights drew a furious response from Pyongyang. Animosities have since eased, with Pyongyang moderating its rhetoric and seeking diplomacy with Seoul and Washington.
State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Friday the U.S. was "surprised and disappointed by North Korea's decision" and remains gravely concerned about Bae's health. Bae's family expressed disappointment but said they were holding on to faith that North Korean and U.S. diplomats would resume talks soon. Bae suffers from multiple health problems.
Bae is at least the sixth American detained in North Korea since 2009. The others were eventually allowed to leave without serving their terms, with some releases coming after prominent Americans, including former Presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter, visited North Korea.
Analysts say North Korea has previously used detained Americans as bargaining chips in its standoff with the U.S. over its nuclear and missile programs. International disarmament talks on ending North Korea's nuclear ambitions remain stalled since 2009.
Story tags » InternationalLynnwood

More Northwest Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus