The chase began about 7:25 a.m., Washington State Patrol trooper Mark Francis said. A trooper tried to pull over the 1994 Toyota for driving 78 mph in a 60 mph zone on southbound I-5 at 164th Street SW. The driver sped off. One other man also was in the truck.
The chase continued down I-405, with the pickup reaching speeds of 95 mph, Francis said. Troopers ahead of the fleeing truck were alerted and threw spiked strips onto I-405 in three different spots in Bellevue, but the tactic didn't work.
In Renton, only a couple of miles from the I-5 interchange, a trooper used his patrol cruiser to deliberately nudge the rear of the fleeing truck from the side. The "PIT" maneuver cased the truck to spin out and stop.
A Seattle man, 25, who allegedly was driving the truck was arrested. So was his companion, although details on that man weren't immediately available. A check of the truck's license plate showed it had been stolen.
The carpool lane was blocked for 30 minutes while the scene was cleared but traffic was light, Francis said.
Most recent Sirens posts
- Everett police seek gas-siphoning suspect, caught on video Aug. 18
- Edmonds police release video related to weekend shooting Aug. 18
- Tips help rescuers find hiker in Glacier Peak Wilderness Aug. 18
- Everett man struck by car in stable condition Aug. 18
- Edmonds police investigating Saturday shooting; no one hurt Aug. 17
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.