Mountain Journal: I adore this photo gallery from Mount Rainier National Park. Visitors to Paradise are invited to make a doodle, write a note or otherwise document their experience to Mount Rainier. The park put up a small selection. My favorites are the one shown here and another saying "Wish I could see it. Damn you weather."
Be safe: It's getting close to fall hiking season. As the weather gets more unpredictable, it's more important than ever to be prepared. Everett Mountain Rescue has some great resources.
Win an adventure: Arc'Teryx has a contest going on to win an outdoor adventure at Mount Baker and Squamish, B.C. The winner will also get some great outdoor gear. Click here to enter.
A gorgeous drive: The North Cascades Highway offers entrance to a special place. Now you can learn more about the natural history of the road in "The North Cascades Highway: An illustrated natural history guide." You can learn more about it, and see some really love scenery, in this video.
Dragonflies as spies: This is a clever list numerating the ways dragonflies would make excellent spies. Among the reasons: They are deadly accurate hunters. See the video below if you don't believe it.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- For Bothell backpacker, Pacific Crest Trail is a multi-year adventure Sep. 28
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
- Trip on the PCT is life changing for creator of popular podcast Sep. 27
- Youth volunteers spend two weeks working on PCT Sep. 27
- State parks, national parks, forest service sites will be free on Saturday Sep. 23
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.