The fire was reported at 4:25 p.m. by neighbors who spotted smoke coming from a double-wide mobile home at Carriage Club Estates in the 13300 block of Highway 99 north of Lynnwood. An elderly woman living in the home was away at the time of the fire.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire and discovered a burner on the stove top accidentally had been left turned on, she said.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.
More Local News Headlines
Lake Stevens man gets 71 years for 3-city shooting spree Index Town Council candidate losing one race, winning another as a write-in Shoplifting suspects in Monroe return for milk, get busted Council OKs county budget; tax collection for courthouse to continue Herald reporter awarded for ‘compelling’ mental health story Man burned in duplex fire caused by candle Part of Bothell-Everett Highway closed while police check out gunshot Students, Rotary bring Thanksgiving meals to Everett’s needy
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.