The fire was reported at 4:25 p.m. by neighbors who spotted smoke coming from a double-wide mobile home at Carriage Club Estates in the 13300 block of Highway 99 north of Lynnwood. An elderly woman living in the home was away at the time of the fire.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the fire under control. The mobile home was a total loss, Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said.
The Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office investigated the fire and discovered a burner on the stove top accidentally had been left turned on, she said.
Cooking is the leading cause of home fires, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Two of every five home fires begin in the kitchen, more than any other place in the home. Cooking fires are also the leading cause of home fire-related injuries.
More Local News Headlines
Timber company says it bears no responsibility in Oso mudslide Gov. Inslee sounds off on federal water regulation 50th Railroad Days to roll through Granite Falls Viking Fest on Saturday celebrates Arlington’s heritage Charitable Everett group changes name, widens reach Dutch Hill Elementary students sort recycling, compost, trash Community Extra: Calendar Opportunities
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.