This year has been really great for mushrooms. On a recent hike, I saw them everywhere.
Apparently, I'm not the only one.
WTA has a pretty slideshow of fungus photos that have been submitted to their trail reports.
If you're fascinated by fungus, there are two events this weekend you should know about.
First, the Snohomish County Mycological Society has a free show from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Forest Park in Everett. You can view hundreds of mushrooms and search for fairies in the enchanted forest display. There will be a mushroom identification class at 1 p.m. If you can't get enough mushrooms, check out the society's huge photo collection online.
Second, the Puget Sound Mycological Society's 50th annual wild mushroom show is noon to 7 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday in Seattle. It's at The Mountaineers, 7700 Sandpoint Way NE, Seattle. You'll be able to see a huge variety of mushrooms, taste mushrooms and shop for field guides, T-shirts or tools for the serious mycologist. There are also a number of educational lectures. Get more details here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- How to help rescuers see you if you're lost at night Oct. 5
- Mount Dickerman and six other trails to hike right now Oct. 4
- For Bothell backpacker, Pacific Crest Trail is a multi-year adventure Sep. 28
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
- Trip on the PCT is life changing for creator of popular podcast Sep. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.