The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Libyan al-Qaida suspect arrives in N.Y. for trial, officials say

  • This file image from the FBI website shows Al Qaeda leader Abu Anas al-Libi. Al-Libi, who was captured in an Oct. 5 raid and held aboard a U.S. warshi...

    Associated Press File

    This file image from the FBI website shows Al Qaeda leader Abu Anas al-Libi. Al-Libi, who was captured in an Oct. 5 raid and held aboard a U.S. warship, is now in the United States. He is expected to stand trial over whether he helped plan and conduct surveillance for the bombings of U.S. embassies in Africa in 1998.

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Pinterest icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Eileen Sullivan and Kimberly Dozier
The Associated Press
Published:
  • This file image from the FBI website shows Al Qaeda leader Abu Anas al-Libi. Al-Libi, who was captured in an Oct. 5 raid and held aboard a U.S. warshi...

    Associated Press File

    This file image from the FBI website shows Al Qaeda leader Abu Anas al-Libi. Al-Libi, who was captured in an Oct. 5 raid and held aboard a U.S. warship, is now in the United States. He is expected to stand trial over whether he helped plan and conduct surveillance for the bombings of U.S. embassies in Africa in 1998.

WASHINGTON -- A Libyan who has been held and interrogated for a week aboard a U.S. warship is now in New York awaiting trial on terrorism charges, U.S. officials said Monday.
The al-Qaida suspect, known as Abu Anas al-Libi, has been under federal indictment in New York for more than a decade. He's due to stand trial over whether he helped plan and conduct surveillance for the bombings of U.S. embassies in Africa in 1998.
Two U.S. officials said he arrived in New York on Saturday and has been held while he awaits an arraignment in federal court.
Al-Libi would be the latest in a string of defendants to face civilian trials under President Barack Obama. Early in his term, he faced criticism for planning to prosecute admitted 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York.
Since then, however, the city has hosted the trial of Ahmed Ghailani, who received a life sentence on a terrorism charge in 2011.
Al-Libi, whose full name is Nazih Abdul-Hamed al-Ruqai, could be in court as early as Tuesday, officials said. But there were no new public court filings in his case.
The officials insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.
Al-Libi used to be on the FBI's list of most wanted terrorists. His family says he was not in al-Qaida.
U.S. special operations forces snatched him during a raid in Libya on Oct. 5.
----
Associated Press Lara Jakes contributed to this report.
Story tags » TerrorismU.S. antiterrorism efforts

More Nation & World Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar