Canada orders airline emergency-beacon checks August 17, 2013
The July 12 fire apparently originated in an off-the-shelf emergency locator transmitter manufactured by Honeywell, British investigators have said. Flames badly damaged the top of the composite fuselage just forward of the vertical stabilizer.
"This is a huge composite repair," Richard Baker of the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Manassas, Va., told the Puget Sound Business Journal. "It will set the standard for what's to come."
The Dreamliner has the first jetliner fuselage of connected, single-piece composite barrels. No one's ever had to repair one.
So far, Boeing is not talking about how it plans to fix the plane. Scaffolding has been erected around it where it is parked at Heathrow, however, so work apparently will be done outdoors.
Most recent Aerospace blog posts
- Boeing forecasts fast growth in Latin America Nov. 16
- Embraer names Lynnwood’s Nova-Tech Engineering as its top supplier in 2015 Nov. 12
- How much is an airplane sale actually worth? Oct. 29
- Boeing and Lockheed might contest Pentagon’s bomber decision Oct. 27
- Boeing KC-46 tanker (finally) gets a foreign order Oct. 26
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.