The fire broke out about 11:40 a.m. in the 20400 block of 28th Avenue W., said Leslie Hynes, spokeswoman for Snohomish County Fire District 1.
One man was taken to a local hospital for exposure to smoke and flames. He is expected to survive.
Firefighters responded from throughout south Snohomish County. Crews remained at the scene for several hours working on hot spots.
The building sustained heavy damage. The American Red Cross was helping the people who were displaced.
Investigators believe the man who was injured accidentally started the fire when he was working in the garage. He apparently stumbled and spilled gasoline, which ignited, Hynes said.
More Local News Headlines
National Adoption Day celebrated at Snohomish County Courthouse Workers say Boeing tax breaks should come with jobs Ecstatic Edmonds homeowner claims glacial erratic Snohomish, Island county libraries host International Games Day Faith Calendar Stephanie Wright selected as president of state organization Progress made on U.S. 2; crews working to restore power to all Death of man in police custody on Tulalip reservation ruled an accident
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.