- Free Fall Orchid Festival: Northwest Orchid Society is holding its annual festival Nov. 8 to 10 at Swanson's Nursery, 9701 15th Ave. NW, Seattle. The event features a large display of fall-blooming orchids, orchid specialty vendors, and talks on Saturday and Sunday. There's also a free orchid repotting service. Orchid hobbyists will be on hand to answer questions. Hours are 5 to 8 p.m. Nov. 8, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Nov. 9 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 10. Check the society's website:,www.nwos.org/, for more information.
- "The Legacy of Linnaeus: The Oak Harbor Garden Club's horticulture specialist Carol Goldberg will give a presentation at the club's meeting from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Nov. 12. goldberg is a master gardener and her home garden is NationalWildlife Federation certified wildlife habitat. The club meets at Oak Harbor United Methodist Church, 1050 SE Ireland, Oak Harbor.
- Arboretum tours: Reservations are now being taken for 2013 custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens. The group tours are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com or email email@example.com.
- Everett Parks and Recreation: Design and organization classes with Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs, Monika Kristofferson of Efficient Organization and Gary Hartz of Kitchens for Cooks. Register online at signmeup.everettwa.gov; by phone at 425-257-8300, ext. 2; or at the Recreation Office at Forest Park.
- Nov. 7: Decluttering, downsizing for seniors, 3:30 to 5 p.m., Everett Senior Center, $25.
- Nov. 14: Plan a kitchen remodel, 6:30 to 9 p.m., Forest Park Spruce Hall, free.
- Nov. 14: Psyched about color, 6 to 7:30 p.m, Van Valey House, $25.
- Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more.
- * Nov. 16: Holiday natural centerpieces with Marylou Hart, arboretum board member and master gardener. Registration necessary.
- * Dec. 7: Arboretum gift-making workshop for kids, noon to 2 p.m., with Hap Wertheimer. Registration necessary.
- Master gardener program: The Snohomish County Master Gardeners are accepting applications for training to be a WSU Master Gardener Community Educator. Training focuses on familiarization and learning to use resources to research, educate and answer horticulture questions. Training involves approximately 80 hours of classroom and workshop instruction once a week on Thursdays from January to April. Tuition is $245 plus a volunteer commitment of 50 hours a year for two years. Without the volunteer commitment, tuition is $745. For information and an application, visit snohomish.wsu.edu, call 425-357-6010, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is Nov. 15.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
- Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
- Falling Water Gardens: Free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
- McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
- Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
- My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
- Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
- Plant Shack: 2829 164th St. SW, Lynnwood; 206-390-1422; www.plantshacknursery.com/
- Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
- Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
- The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
- Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
To submit an item for the calendar, e-mail email@example.com.
More Home and Garden Headlines
Plant of Merit: Echinacea “Cheyenne Spirit” Weathervanes were about more than just which way the wind was blowing Ikea 2016: Sunny with a chance of meatballs The future kitchen in an age of scarcity Home & Garden calendar Ideas to organize your pantry cabinet Garden clubs It's time to start thinking about fall veggies
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.