The case was filed by the Poulsbo-based Ground Zero Center for Nonviolent Action, which said the Navy failed to fully consider how the presence of a second explosives wharf could compound the danger of an explosion. The group wants the judge to order the Navy to conduct an environmental analysis that takes into account the possibility that an explosion at one wharf would trigger further explosions at the other.
The Navy says it needs the $715 million wharf to handle missiles as they're loaded on and off Trident nuclear submarines, because the existing one was built in the 1970s and is no longer sufficient.
In a motion filed last week, the Navy asked a federal court judge in Tacoma to reject the lawsuit. It says the chances of an explosion are less than one in a million, and that its analysis of any explosion risk is sensitive information that can't be disclosed publicly.
Construction began last year and is due to be completed in 2016.
More Northwest Headlines
Washington ferry fares going up Oct. 1 Toxic algae blooming in warm water from California to Alaska Wildfire along Lake Chelan grows overnight Skagit County 911 system struggles with understaffing Team rescues injured hiker on Olympic Peninsula Seattle among 8 cities to win open-data contest from ex-NYC mayor Bloomberg Klickitat County town evacuated because of wildfire Crews extinguish multiple fires in Clark County
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.