A Seattle Fire Department spokesman says an 88-year-old man who had been inside the home Tuesday came out covered in soot and told firefighters his wife was still inside. The 83-year-old woman was found unconscious and unresponsive in a bathtub but medics revived her with CPR.
The woman was taken to Harborview Medical Center in critical condition with life-threatening injuries that included second-degree burns to her face and legs.
Spokesman Kyle Moore said that during the rescue of his wife, the husband went back into the house and he had to be rescued, too. He was taken to Harborview for treatment of smoke inhalation.
Moore said the fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. Damage was estimated at $150,000.
More Northwest Headlines
Central Washington wildfire grows to 25 square miles 4:25 p.m. Spokane sues Monsanto over Spokane River contamination 3:51 p.m. State senators question deal with Navy limiting Hood Canal shoreline development Oregon confident of meeting president’s carbon goals 6:27 p.m. Firefighters battling fire at Kent-Meridian High School 5:42 p.m. Despite misconduct, prosecutors rarely face discipline 4:26 p.m. With danger high, forest rangers turn to campfire patrols Seattle plans crackdown on indoor smoking lounges
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.