The Columbian reported that the Tuesday afternoon collapse happened at Vancouver Warehouse and Distribution Co.
Vancouver Fire Department Battalion Chief Kevin Griffee says a worker with a forklift had been unloading pallets of lead ingots shortly before the floor gave way.
Company officials say no workers were nearby when the 400,000 pounds of lead dropped onto about 1,000 gallons of rubbing alcohol stored below. Griffee said it wasn't immediately known how much of the flammable liquid was released.
Judy Bower's husband owns the business. She says the collapse "sounded like and felt like an explosion."
Her husband, Chuck Bower, ran toward the sound and soon noticed the rubbing alcohol was causing a burning sensation in his feet. He was treated at the scene.
Vancouver Fire Chief Joe Molina says all employees have been accounted for.
More Northwest Headlines
State Supreme Court won’t block Eyman anti-tax initiative Court finds Washington charter school law unconstitutional Judge orders Pasco teachers back to school Salmonella outbreak linked to cucumbers sickens nearly 300 Bail set at $2 million for man accused of wounding officer Fuel spill from Port Orchard vessel more than 500 gallons Anti-California stickers placed on Portland ‘For Sale’ signs Union Gap settles with former clerk for $750,000
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.