The Herald of Everett, Washington
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up | Manage  Green editions icon Green editions

Calendar


Sports headlines
HeraldNet Newsletter Delivered to your inbox each week.
Published: Saturday, November 23, 2013, 12:01 a.m.

Baseball Notebook: MLB ballparks to screen all fans

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Baseball fans should expect to go through a metal detector to see their favorite team play in 2014.
Major League Baseball security director John Skinner said Friday that all 30 teams are expected to screen fans entering their ballparks next season. Some aspects of the screening will be left to individual teams, but the commissioner's office is planning to recommend walk-through metal detectors, he said.
"It's the reality, unfortunately, of this world," Skinner said at the Ivy Sports Symposium at the Harvard Law School. "Ultimately, it will happen."
Skinner made the comments during a panel called "Preparing for the Worst: Crisis Management." Among the other panelists was Tom Grilk, the executive director of the Boston Athletic Association, which organizes the Boston Marathon.
Three people were killed and more than 260 wounded in April when two bombs went off at the finish line in April. Since then, most sporting events and facilities have increased security, with the NFL limiting fans attending regular-season games this year to a single, see-through bag for their belongings.
In Boston, the bombings led to an increase in security at sporting events that included checking all cars entering the garage under the TD Garden, home of the NHL's Bruins and NBA's Celtics. A large contingent of law enforcement was out on the night the Red Sox clinched the World Series, and police said they arrested nine people for unruly behavior during the celebration.
Skinner told The Associated Press after the panel that baseball will be making a presentation to its teams at the winter meetings next month in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Asked for more details, MLB spokesman Michael Teevan said the plans are still developing.
"We have been reviewing our security procedures for many months and we will issue a security bulletin in 2014 that will include practices and procedures that are responsive to the new security environment," Teevan said in an email. "Fan screening will be one of the subjects addressed. We are continuing to consult with our clubs, our experts and the Department of Homeland Security, and we expect to announce specific changes after some further off-season meetings."
Angels acquire Freese
ST. LOUIS -- Former World Series MVP David Freese was traded from his hometown St. Louis Cardinals to the Los Angeles Angels in a four-player deal. St. Louis obtained a new starting center fielder in Peter Bourjos plus prospect Randal Grichuk, and the Cardinals also sent reliever Fernando Salas to the Angels.
The 30-year-old Freese was the MVP of the 2011 World Series. He set a record with 21 postseason RBI and hit a game-ending, 11th-inning home run in Game 6. He injured his back chasing a foul ball into the stands during spring training this year and never hit his stride. Freese batted .262 with nine homers and 60 RBI, dropoffs from career bests of 20 homers, 79 RBI and a .293 average the previous year. Freese made $3.15 million and is eligible for salary arbitration.
The 26-year-old Bourjos is a career .251 hitter with speed. He stole 41 bases in 54 attempts and was among the AL leaders with 11 triples, 17 bunt hits and 38 infield hits in 2011. He was limited by injuries to just 55 games last season.
Mets, Young agree to deal
NEW YORK -- A person familiar with the negotiations said Friday that outfielder Chris Young and the New York Mets have agreed to a $7.25 million, one-year contract.
The 30-year-old outfielder hit .200 with 12 homers and 40 RBI last season for Oakland, which acquired him from Arizona as part of a three-team trade after the 2012 season. He made $8.5 million this year, and the Athletics turned down an $11 million option.
Story tags » Major League Baseball

Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus
digital subscription promo

Subscribe now

Unlimited digital access starting at 99 cents, or included with any print subscription.