Report: Hawks' Thurmond facing 4-game suspension
And to be clear, this is different from the performance enhancing drug policy that has led to the suspension of several other Seahawks in recent years.
According to Rapoport, Thurmond is currently in the appeals process, but will drop the appeal this week so he can serve the suspension before the postseason.
Thurmond Tweeted an apology on Sunday.
“Yes I made a mistake and I have to live with the consequences.
“I’m disappointed in myself for letting my teammates and family down.”
Thurmond has been Seattle’s nickel cornerback this season, and moved into a starting role with Brandon Browner sidelined by a groin injury (he also started the first two games with Browner out with a hamstring injury).
Thurmond is scheduled to be a free agent this offseason. On the season, he’s made 31 tackles to go with an interception, a sack and six defended passes.
This suspension, along with Browner’s continued absence — head coach Pete Carroll said last week that it was at least a four-to-six-week injury — will test Seattle’s considerable depth at cornerback.
Byron Maxwell stepped in for Browner last week at right cornerback when Thurmond slid into the nickel spot, though Jeremy Lane was also worked into the rotation. Thurmond’s suspension will open up a roster spot, so the Seahawks will likely add a defensive back, quite possibly DeShawn Shead, who is currently on their practice squad.
This is the second time in as many years that Seattle’s secondary has taken a hit late in the season due to suspension, with Browner serving a four-game suspension for violating the league’s PED policy.
- Kaepernick believes Harbaugh will return to 49ers 11/26/14
- Seahawks' Lynch expected to play against 49ers 11/25/14
- Seahawks’ Pete Carroll voices his frustration with officiating 11/25/14
- Broncos switch kickers again, waive McManus, sign Barth 11/25/14
- Seattle Sidelines: Seahawks' Sherman, Baldwin put on skit criticizing NFL 11/25/14
- 49ers' Smith dislocates finger, pops it back into place during game 11/24/14
- Browns' Manziel involved in hotel fight at 2:25 a.m. in Cleveland 11/24/14
- Chiefs says All-Pro safety Berry may have lymphoma 11/24/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.