N. Cascades Hwy closed for winter; this map shows why
In short, the highway runs right through many, many avalanche zones. Keeping it clear all winter would be dangerous and difficult. Not to mention, who would want to drive a road where you risk getting swept up in an avalanche?
You can get more information about the highway and why it closes each year on the WSDOT's page. And if you'd like to look at a larger version of the map, there's a huge version here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Get a ski or snowboard helmet for only $25 Dec. 16
- Wilderness addition protects popular recreation area Dec. 14
- Gift ideas for your favorite outdoor adventurer (or yourself) Dec. 14
- Congress votes to expand Alpine Lakes Wilderness, protects 3 rivers Dec. 12
- Even a newbie can have fun hunting for razor clams Dec. 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.