N. Cascades Hwy closed for winter; this map shows why
In short, the highway runs right through many, many avalanche zones. Keeping it clear all winter would be dangerous and difficult. Not to mention, who would want to drive a road where you risk getting swept up in an avalanche?
You can get more information about the highway and why it closes each year on the WSDOT's page. And if you'd like to look at a larger version of the map, there's a huge version here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Eagle once caught on Whidbey Navy base spotted in Vancouver, B.C. Feb. 6
- Fly-fishing show in Lynnwood on Feb. 14-15 Feb. 6
- The sound a wolverine makes will chill your blood Feb. 5
- Protection for remote Illabot Creek will pay dividends downstream Feb. 3
- Two ice climbers make first ascent of Niagara Falls Jan. 30
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.