In short, the highway runs right through many, many avalanche zones. Keeping it clear all winter would be dangerous and difficult. Not to mention, who would want to drive a road where you risk getting swept up in an avalanche?
You can get more information about the highway and why it closes each year on the WSDOT's page. And if you'd like to look at a larger version of the map, there's a huge version here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Edmonds endurance hiker went off trail to train for record-setting hike Nov. 25
- Stevens Pass purchases snow maker for base area Nov. 24
- Tips to stay safe while playing outside in winter Nov. 20
- Storm damaged many national forest trails and roads Nov. 20
- Mount Baker Ski Area to open on Thursday Nov. 18
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.