In short, the highway runs right through many, many avalanche zones. Keeping it clear all winter would be dangerous and difficult. Not to mention, who would want to drive a road where you risk getting swept up in an avalanche?
You can get more information about the highway and why it closes each year on the WSDOT's page. And if you'd like to look at a larger version of the map, there's a huge version here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Q&A: How photographer created stunning image of the Enchantments Oct. 7
- How to help rescuers see you if you're lost at night Oct. 5
- Mount Dickerman and six other trails to hike right now Oct. 4
- For Bothell backpacker, Pacific Crest Trail is a multi-year adventure Sep. 28
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.