In short, the highway runs right through many, many avalanche zones. Keeping it clear all winter would be dangerous and difficult. Not to mention, who would want to drive a road where you risk getting swept up in an avalanche?
You can get more information about the highway and why it closes each year on the WSDOT's page. And if you'd like to look at a larger version of the map, there's a huge version here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.