Sounders acquire GK Stefan Frei
Frei, 27, is from Switzerland, played at Cal and was Toronto’s first-round pick in the 2009 draft. He was a starter for most of his first three seasons in Toronto, but injuries and later the play of his backup, Joe Bendick, relegated Frei to a backup role for most of the past two seasons.
“Stefan is a goalkeeper we have liked for a number of years,” Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said in a press release. “He is a quality professional who brings experience and leadership to the position. Adding Stefan at this point of his career was very attractive to us.”
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks DE Michael Bennett denies trade report; still ‘feels the same way’ about Jimmy Graham April 9
- Lloyd McClendon ‘much more comfortable’ with Mariners’ current lineup vs. lefties April 7
- Mariners opening day lineups, links and pregame notes April 6
- Pete Carroll quotes from UW Pro Day April 2
- Seahawks re-sign DT Jesse Williams and FB Will Tukuafu April 1
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.