Frei, 27, is from Switzerland, played at Cal and was Toronto’s first-round pick in the 2009 draft. He was a starter for most of his first three seasons in Toronto, but injuries and later the play of his backup, Joe Bendick, relegated Frei to a backup role for most of the past two seasons.
“Stefan is a goalkeeper we have liked for a number of years,” Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said in a press release. “He is a quality professional who brings experience and leadership to the position. Adding Stefan at this point of his career was very attractive to us.”
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks sign draft picks Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett May 26
- Pete Carroll on Russell Wilson contract talks May 26
- Notes from Seahawks’ first OTA of the offseason May 26
- Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham and Cliff Avril to miss Seahawks’ first OTA May 26
- Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham shares his inspirational story May 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.