Sounders acquire GK Stefan Frei
Frei, 27, is from Switzerland, played at Cal and was Toronto’s first-round pick in the 2009 draft. He was a starter for most of his first three seasons in Toronto, but injuries and later the play of his backup, Joe Bendick, relegated Frei to a backup role for most of the past two seasons.
“Stefan is a goalkeeper we have liked for a number of years,” Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said in a press release. “He is a quality professional who brings experience and leadership to the position. Adding Stefan at this point of his career was very attractive to us.”
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Steve Ballmer breaks camera, wins closest-to-the pin contest Aug. 20
- Notes from Seahawks coordinators Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn Aug. 19
- NFL expands practice squad size from 8 to 10 Aug. 19
- Two linebackers return to action and other Monday Seahawks notes Aug. 18
- Notes and quotes from Seahawks 41, Chargers 14 Aug. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.