Frei, 27, is from Switzerland, played at Cal and was Toronto’s first-round pick in the 2009 draft. He was a starter for most of his first three seasons in Toronto, but injuries and later the play of his backup, Joe Bendick, relegated Frei to a backup role for most of the past two seasons.
“Stefan is a goalkeeper we have liked for a number of years,” Sounders coach Sigi Schmid said in a press release. “He is a quality professional who brings experience and leadership to the position. Adding Stefan at this point of his career was very attractive to us.”
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Michael Bennett, sound bite superstar Sep. 17
- Russell Wilson talks about the no-huddle offense Sep. 17
- First injury report of the week, plus notes from Pete Carroll's press conference Sep. 16
- VIDEO: Richard Sherman speaks on "Black Lives Matter" Sep. 16
- Still no sign of Kam Chancellor for the Seahawks Sep. 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.