Dog alerts owner of fire; 2 escape Monroe blaze
On Saturday, a dog at a Monroe home woke its owner in time for her to escape a house fire in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue SE.
The woman roused another person at the home, Monroe Fire District fire marshal Michael Fitzgerald said.
Both escaped uninjured with their dogs.
Fire investigators determined the fire began at the Christmas tree, Fitzgerald said.
Damage was estimated at $85,000.
"This is a great time to remind people to ensure that holiday lighting should be unplugged before going to bed," Fitzgerald said. "Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday."
Fitzgerald also said people should make sure not to wind or tie an electrical cord around itself.
A total of 19 firefighters from Monroe, Sultan and Maltby battled the blaze.
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the people with temporary housing and clothing.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.