On Saturday, a dog at a Monroe home woke its owner in time for her to escape a house fire in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue SE.
The woman roused another person at the home, Monroe Fire District fire marshal Michael Fitzgerald said.
Both escaped uninjured with their dogs.
Fire investigators determined the fire began at the Christmas tree, Fitzgerald said.
Damage was estimated at $85,000.
"This is a great time to remind people to ensure that holiday lighting should be unplugged before going to bed," Fitzgerald said. "Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday."
Fitzgerald also said people should make sure not to wind or tie an electrical cord around itself.
A total of 19 firefighters from Monroe, Sultan and Maltby battled the blaze.
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the people with temporary housing and clothing.
More Local News Headlines
Everett teens were shot because one wore blue, police say 2:11 p.m. State attorneys are investigating Eyman's use of initiative money Panel gives green light to unfair labor practices case against Roe Painter Elizabeth Webber leaves a legacy of faith, courage and art 3:07 p.m. Family recognized for operating same small farm for 127 years People who live along lakes can make a difference to protect them 2 papal parades, more passes available after ticket outcry 3:05 p.m. Opportunities
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.