On Saturday, a dog at a Monroe home woke its owner in time for her to escape a house fire in the 15300 block of 182nd Avenue SE.
The woman roused another person at the home, Monroe Fire District fire marshal Michael Fitzgerald said.
Both escaped uninjured with their dogs.
Fire investigators determined the fire began at the Christmas tree, Fitzgerald said.
Damage was estimated at $85,000.
"This is a great time to remind people to ensure that holiday lighting should be unplugged before going to bed," Fitzgerald said. "Live Christmas trees must be watered, and should be removed from the home following the holiday."
Fitzgerald also said people should make sure not to wind or tie an electrical cord around itself.
A total of 19 firefighters from Monroe, Sultan and Maltby battled the blaze.
The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the people with temporary housing and clothing.
More Local News Headlines
Snohomish fire crews in the thick of battle in Okanogan Qwuloolt Estuary Projectís goal: Return of the wild salmon County is fielding anonymous demand for vast amount of information from government phones Mukilteo mayor pushes for Community Transit tax hike CLASS REUNIONS Second bed bug infestation at the jail’s work release center 8 months later, teenís killer still at large Mukilteo police chief to retire
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.