One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
Father of high-school shooter guilty in gun-possession case Driver jailed after construction flagger is hit by car Executive to unveil Snohomish County budget proposal Man seriously injured in U.S. 2 crash between Monroe, Snohomish The fruits of fall Community Transit set to get new double-decker buses rolling ‘No quick decision’ on Snohomish County courthouse Marysville installing traffic circles in some neighborhoods
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.