One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
Thousands still without power; U.S. 2 closed near pass 1:14 p.m. Man in car could only watch as massive tree barely missed him Cheerios-loving photographer captures eye of cereal giant Lawmakers ‘deliver big time’ for county roads, Inslee says Grant money available for Marysville nonprofit projects Front Porch: Donations of warm clothes sought Storm knocked out power to half of PUD's customers Final hearing on state medical marijuana rules
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.