One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
B-17 flight brings back memories for Arlington WWII vet 10-year plan looks at ‘big picture’ for Sno-Isle libraries ‘Queen, It’s a New Day’ pampers, empowers women dealing with hardships Monroe inmate’s alleged punch to ‘gain respect’ could result in life term Number of ways to help those affected by wildfires Front Porch: Smoking banned from Everett Station Feds allege fraud bankrolled a big Everett development 1 of 3 suspects arrested after Mukilteo store robbery
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.