One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
Everett man arrested after standoff, accused of assaulting woman, baby Drought prompts water-use advisories in Everett, Seattle and Tacoma Model Ts run in the family of Arlington woman Everett teen who was shot is stable; no suspect yet State gets positive report on education Felony charges for alleged meth use near baby Front Porch: Beware of bike thefts Snohomish County settles jail death lawsuit for $2.4 million
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.