One teacher was taken to a local hospital for potential exposure, according to the fire department and the school district.
A hydrochloric acid spill was reported about 8:45 a.m. in a science lab, district superintendent Dan Chaplik said.
School officials were waiting for fire crews to make sure hazardous fumes didn't get into the ventilation system, Chaplik said.
As of 10:30 a.m., students were being housed in the gymnasium while crews monitored air-quality levels in the school, said Sultan fire Lt. Tim Tullis.
The second-alarm hazardous-materials response also involved crews from Gold Bar, Monroe, Clearview and Fire District 1 in south Snohomish County.
More Local News Headlines
It’s not easy to keep exotic animals as pets and many fall victim to their own popularity or become pests in an alien environment I-1366 forces state’s hand Details out on proposed vaping ban 6 vie for 3 seats on Snohomish City Council Granite Falls to choose between mayor, city manager Tim Eyman stays mum on probe 1 arrested in Bellevue for Sept. assault, burglary in Monroe Six seek three contested seats on Everett City Council
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.