State Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Jorge Pino said the man received a citation for illegally capturing and trying to sell the gator.
Pino told WTVJ-TV that the man trapped the 4-foot-long gator at a nearby park and brought it to the store Dec. 10. When he proposed to trade the animal for a 12-pack of beer, the store clerk called authorities.
Pino said the alligator was "pretty much in good shape." The animal was released back into the wild.
Information from: WTVJ-TV, http://www.nbc6.net/index.html
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Pastafarian gets to wear strainer on head in license photo Nov. 13
- How do you smuggle Heineken into Saudi Arabia? Nov. 12
- Human poop could yield up to $9.5 billion Nov. 3
- Australia dumps titles knights and dames from honors awards Nov. 1
- Creepy Halloween doll in I-5 carpool lane doesn’t fool officer Oct. 28
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.