Beginning Saturday, the road from Longmire to Paradise will be open seven days a week.
The snow play area at Paradise isn't ready to open yet, however. The snow depth is at 59 percent of normal. That doesn't provide enough snow to protect the meadows and cover up tree tops and rocks. Once the snow is deep enough, the play area will open.
The park is open all year. Longmire and the National Park Inn are open, except in the case of extreme storms.
"Even without snow play being open, the park is a wonderful place to visit to participate in a variety of winter activities including snowshoeing, snowboarding, skiing, building snowmen and snow caves, hiking, and sightseeing," according to a press release from the park.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.