Low snow delays opening of Rainier snow play area
Beginning Saturday, the road from Longmire to Paradise will be open seven days a week.
The snow play area at Paradise isn't ready to open yet, however. The snow depth is at 59 percent of normal. That doesn't provide enough snow to protect the meadows and cover up tree tops and rocks. Once the snow is deep enough, the play area will open.
The park is open all year. Longmire and the National Park Inn are open, except in the case of extreme storms.
"Even without snow play being open, the park is a wonderful place to visit to participate in a variety of winter activities including snowshoeing, snowboarding, skiing, building snowmen and snow caves, hiking, and sightseeing," according to a press release from the park.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Weekend reading: The Pacific Crest Trail March 8
- Upcoming events to support Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team March 7
- Take a guided kayak tour on Lake Sammamish, learn about wildlife March 5
- Outdoor events: Pack light, learn about slugs, Fred Beckey, more March 5
- Little Si is a short, sweet trail you can do nearly year-round March 3
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.