Plant sale: The Snohomish Conservation District is taking orders for the 2014 Conservation Plant Sale that will take place March 1 at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds in Monroe. Presale orders are being taken until Feb. 10. Plants include native trees, shrubs and ground covers. To see a copy of the brochure or to order online visit: www.snohomishcd.org/plant-sale or email email@example.com.
Country Living Expo: Registration is open for the Jan. 25 Country Living Expo and Cattlemen's Winterschool. There are 175 classes from beef and bees to sheep and swine, and 60 more classes including small engine repair, choosing tractors, curing meats and others. Registration fees for the expo are $65 before Dec. 31, and $70 after. Youth fees are $40 ($10 for the first 200 to sign up). Fee includes five classes, coffee and pastries in the morning and lunch. All day trade show entrance is free. The expo is held at Stanwood High School, 7400 272nd St. NW. See skagit.wsu.edu/CountryLivingExpo or call the Skagit County Extension 360-428-4270, ext 0.
Arboretum tours: Reservations for custom group tours of the Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens are available all year by calling 425-257-8597. There is no charge, but donations to the Evergreen Arboretum Foundation are welcome. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Saturdays at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more. Register by mail at P.O. Box 13014, Everett, WA 98206 or email email@example.com.
- Jan. 18: Winter Pruning with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery.
- Feb. 15: Attracting Birds with Linda Woolsey, Snohomish County & National Audubon Society.
- March 15: New Plant Introductions for 2014 with Steve Smith, owner of Sunnyside Nursery.
- April 19: Rock Gardens with Ted Milam of Kayak Greens
- May 17: Great Plant Picks with Dode Carlson, Florence Stiles, Jean Savory and Ann Neupert, master gardeners.
- June 21: Pruning Rhododendrons & Azaleas with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery.
- July 19: Shade Gardening with Susie Egan, owner of Cottage Lake Gardens.
- July 26: Family Fun in the arboretum , 1 to 3 p.m. Family activities, music, games, art activities and food.
- Aug. 16: Designing for Late Summer Color with Marty Civarra, landscape designer and owner of Leaf Lessons
- Sept. 20: Rain Gardens with Zsofia Pasztor, owner of Innovative Landscape Technologies
- Oct. 18: Putting your Garden to Bed with John Marsh, master gardener .
- Nov. 15: Backyard Holiday Centerpieces with Bob Adrian of Flowers by Adrian
- Dec. 6: Holiday Workshop for Kids with Hap Wertheimer, past arboretum president and art teacher. For ages 6-to 12. Parents are welcome to participate.
- Jan. 3: Great Plant Picks: What is New and How It Is Picked with Richie Steffen, curator of the Elisabeth C. Miller Botanical Garden.
- Jan. 17: Hosting Wildlife in a (Mostly) Native Landscape with Monica Van der Vieren, county native plant steward.
- Jan. 31: Year-Round Benefits of Indoor plants with naturopath and botanical expert Jenn Dazey.
- Feb. 24: Tasty Heirlooms with Lisa Taylor, author of "Your Farm in the City."
- Feb. 28: Clematis Made Easy with expert Laura Watson.
- March 14: Bugs: Eek, Squish, Splat with Ciscoe Morris.
- March 28: Designing an Edible Garden Lifestyle with garden designer Sue Goetz.
- April 11: Three Easy Steps to Fabulous Gardens and Containers with plant specialist Karen Chapman.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.