This photo of a hiker in Idaho's Lost River Range was one of the Backpacking Light's contest winners.
Before we completely leave 2013 behind, though, let's look back at a few things.
Backpacking Light magazine has a great collection of their photo contest winners from last year. The photos themselves are fabulous, but I really love the descriptions that go with each photo. It's interesting to read the back story to the photos.
One of the photos is by Paul Souders of Seattle. It's an unbelievable shot of a polar bear. It was the winner of National Geographic's contest. (Follow the link to read more about the shot.) Paul Souders has some excellent bragging rights now, if he's the bragging type.
I think I would like Mr. Souders. He clearly has a sense of humor. On his resume he includes the notation "Barfly (In Training.)"
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.