The blast Tuesday afternoon occurred after canisters of butane that had been stored in the freezer of a vacant apartment unit leaked into the refrigerator's electrical components. Spokesman Kyle Moore says the butane was for use as a solvent in making hash oil.
The explosion blew off the kitchen cabinets, blasted a hole in the ceiling and knocked a wall of the building 6 inches off its foundation.
The building has a flower shop and three vacant apartments. The flower shop owner was inside.
Police responded and found what spokeswoman Renee Witt described as a "sizeable" marijuana growing operation.
On Jan. 1 an explosion linked to hash oil production damaged two Kirkland apartments, and similar explosions injured people in Spokane and Mount Vernon last summer.
Butane is extremely flammable. In gas form it can accumulate in poorly ventilated areas, where even a spark can cause it to explode.
More Northwest Headlines
Fishing at the heart of Lummi Nation Burlington teacher grateful for opportunity, WWU program Quinault Nation opens crab fishery around Grays Harbor Kent woman arrested after 24 pounds of meth found in car in Eugene State shaping new rules to guide oil transport 5 people sent to hospital after Seattle shooting 2 Yale students from Pacific Northwest are Rhodes scholars Maple Valley Highway closed as dangerous trees removed
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.