The blast Tuesday afternoon occurred after canisters of butane that had been stored in the freezer of a vacant apartment unit leaked into the refrigerator's electrical components. Spokesman Kyle Moore says the butane was for use as a solvent in making hash oil.
The explosion blew off the kitchen cabinets, blasted a hole in the ceiling and knocked a wall of the building 6 inches off its foundation.
The building has a flower shop and three vacant apartments. The flower shop owner was inside.
Police responded and found what spokeswoman Renee Witt described as a "sizeable" marijuana growing operation.
On Jan. 1 an explosion linked to hash oil production damaged two Kirkland apartments, and similar explosions injured people in Spokane and Mount Vernon last summer.
Butane is extremely flammable. In gas form it can accumulate in poorly ventilated areas, where even a spark can cause it to explode.
More Northwest Headlines
With protest over, Shell prepares for Arctic Ocean drilling Lawsuit over lease for Shell Arctic drilling fleet rejected Higher wages a surprising success for Seattle restaurant Court denies Medina millionaire’s release from Montana jail Prosecutors charge man in fatal Bonney Lake crash Woman, 87, goes missing while picking berries in Skamania County New wildfire burns at least 8 structures in Mason County Judge tosses lawsuit seeking Kurt Cobain death-scene photos
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.