I use my calendar to sneak new words into ordinary conversation. Here's an example using the beginning words from 2014:
"Wow! The weather is really yucky today. Is that snow or is that graupel? I hope it's snow because grainy snow pellets aren't much fun to play in. If I was a zillionaire, I'd take us on vacation to Hawaii. Then we could gambol about the beach, skipping and frolicking in the ocean water.
It's just as well that we're stuck at home. So-an-so is coming down with a cold. I hope he uses a tissue because I don't want to find coughed up phlegm all over the place."
Of course, it's better to only use one word at a time. The trouble is coming up with words to use in the first place. That's where the calendar comes in handy.
Another way to gather words is by liking my Teaching My Baby To Read FB page. I'll be sharing lots of jumbo words throughout the year. My goal is to help moms and dads like me remember to use them.
Ab initio, from the beginning, (of January); here we go!
Most recent I Brake for Moms posts
- The Good Shoe-maritan: Teen was the hero while others sat by July 19
- When restrooms — and even life — don’t make sense July 12
- Emptying the kitchen — and our stomachs July 5
- Using a little magic to put my house in order June 28
- We've learned a lot from our TV dads over the years — which one best describes you? June 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.