4 sailors rescued from chopper in Atlantic
Petty Officer David Weydert says the search continued for the fifth person. Two Coast Guard cutters were racing to the scene about 18 miles off the Virginia coast.
A Navy helicopter rescued the four. Their conditions are not known.
The helicopter has been identified by the Navy as an MH-53-E. According to the Naval Air Systems Command website, the aircraft performs airborne mine countermeasures and onboard delivery missions. It holds a crew of up to eight, including two pilots and is capable of speeds of more than 170 miles per hour.
The helicopter measures 99 feet long and more than 28 feet tall and weighs 69,750 pounds.
- Navy commercials try to broaden appeal 2/1/15
- U.S. may share aircraft carrier technology with India 1/30/15
- Military benefits could change 1/30/15
- Military benefits system recommendations 1/30/15
- Navy commander fired in adultery probe 1/21/15
- Local Navy personnel will fly over stadium before Seahawks game 1/16/15
- Objects detected in AirAsia search 1/2/15
- Canada to curb booze on warships 12/13/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.