The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Lynch avoids fine, which will increase if he stops talking

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
By Todd Dybas
The News Tribune
RENTON -- Despite writing on his Facebook page that he won his appeal of a $50,000 fine for not talking to the media during the season, Marshawn Lynch is still on the edge of being fined.
Lynch was fined $50,000 last week after not speaking to the media all season. Each NFL player is contractually obligated to speak with the media twice a week, if requested, once during the week and once after games.
Lynch had declined all interview requests, which led to his fine when the league was made aware of his ongoing silence.
The league provided a statement on the status of Lynch's appeal:
"NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson heard the appeal and decided to hold the $50,000 in abeyance for now after Marshawn Lynch committed to complying with league policy and with the understanding that any further violation will result in the $50,000 being collected and an additional fine of at least $50,000 being assessed."
So, Lynch is a step away from a $100,000 fine if he does not cooperate with the media from here on. He pledged to cooperate from here forward, and, if he does, the league will not fine him.
Lynch spoke with the media for the first time this season last Friday during a 79-word press conference.
Willson making progress
Rookie tight end Luke Willson (ankle) said he came out of Tuesday's practice feeling "pretty good" and was again a full practice participant Wednesday.
Willson suffered a high ankle sprain during the regular-season finale against St. Louis. His left leg was put in an air cast and he was taken off the field on a cart. X-Rays showed no breaks.
He last had a high ankle sprain two years ago during his junior year at Rice University. He sprained the same ankle last week.
"It was a pretty bad one," Willson said of his college injury. "Even when I was back, I had to do a lot of stuff just to play in games."
Willson said he thought it was an ankle injury when he first went down against St. Louis. He said at first, the medical staff was worried it was a break.
Willson hopes to play Saturday.
"I guess it's in the doctor's hands now," Willson said.
Extra points
Strong safety Kam Chancellor (hip) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. ... Wide receiver Percy Harvin (hip) was a full participant in practice, making it look more and more like he is going to play Saturday for the first time since Nov. 17. ... Saints running back Pierre Thomas (chest) did not practice Wednesday. He was inactive last week for the Saints' Wild Card game against the Philadelphia Eagles. Thomas led the Saints in rushing this season.
Story tags » Seahawks

More Sports Headlines


Sports headlines

Top sports stories delivered daily


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.