Weekend reading: Cross-country snowboarding
First up, an unreel sport: "Cross-country snowboarding started pretty simply. It's just when you're getting off the chair-lift and you gotta scooch over to the top of the hill. And that was it. In that small stretch of flat land, our sport was born. ... We know it's never going to be the big thing. That's the great thing about cross-country snowboarding. It's impossible for it to sell out."
Check out what happens when soap bubbles freeze. It's beautiful.
Next, we have talking animals. These videos make the rounds every once in awhile. This is my favorite. "Night time! Day time!"
Finally, take a look at the fascinating photo with this post by weather guru Cliff Mass. It looks like the Olympic Mountains are floating above themselves like a strange mesa. Mass explains how the crazy phenomenon happened.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Everett hiker hopes his journey encourages more to visit fire lookouts Sep. 28
- Jennifer Pharr Davis, adventurer and author, to speak at local libraries Sep. 26
- Should fishers be reintroduced to the Cascades? Sep. 24
- Celebrate salmon this weekend in Sultan Sep. 22
- Teton Crest Trail is a classic backpack showcasing the mountains' best Sep. 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.