Prospect update, plus Central Scouting
Now onto the prospect update. I meant to do this during the Christmas break, when all the leagues had a pause in their schedules. But we'll do this now instead. Here's an update on how Everett's prospects are faring so far this season. This list isn't complete. First, we don't know what's changed on Everett's protected list since training camp. Second, I've decided not to include those who are unlikely to ever play for Everett.
Players are grouped by pertinent categories, along with their birth year, position, team and stats:
Kyle Raymond, 96, RW, Mission City Outlaws, PJHL (junior B)
26 G, 2-4-6, 16 PM
Lucas Skrumeda, 96, D, Winnipeg Blues, MJHL (junior A)
26 G, 1-11-12, 9 PM
Nik Amundrud, 97, G, Melfort Mustangs, SJHL (junior A)
0-1-0-0, 6.00, .850
* Note: Amundrud was called up for just one game with the Mustangs. I'm honestly not sure where he's playing full-time this season.
Jordan Wharrie, 97, D, Port Moody Panthers, PJHL (junior B)
33 G, 5-15-20, 44 PM
ATTENDED 2013 CAMP
Braeden Allkins, 96, C, Golden Rockets, KIJHL (junior B)
39 G, 15-11-26, 24 PM
Jake Durflinger, 97, RW, Corpus Christi Ice Rays, NAHL (junior B)
39 G, 9-9-18, 64 PM
Alec Mehr, 97, C, CT Wold Pack National, U.S. U-16
23 G, 11-12-23, PM n/a
Mario Petit, 97, G, Eastman Selects, MBAAA (midget major)
9-5-3, 2.31, .915
Tyson Jost, 98, C, Okanagan Rockets, BCMML (midget major)
22 G, 21-27-48, 41 PM
Patrick Khodorenko, 98, C, Detroit Honeybaked, U.S. U-16
11 G, 4-12-16, 6 PM
Alex Astasiewicz, 98, D, Thompson Blazers, BCMML (midget major)
26 G, 4-11-15, 8 PM
Kevin Jakisch, 98, LW, Winnipeg Monarchs, Winnipeg AAA (midget minor)
22 G, 10-11-21, 4 PM
Connor Nobach, 98, D, L.A. Jr. Kings, U.S. U-16
23 G, 0-4-4, 10 PM
Andrew Fyten, 98, C, AC Avalanche, AMMHL (midget minor)
25 G, 17-15-32, 74 PM
Keyvan Mokhtari, 98, RW, Vancouver NW Giants, BCMML (midget major)
24 G, 6-8-14, 28 PM
Carter Hart, 98, G, Sherwood Park NIC Squires, AMMHL (midget minor)
11-3-1, 1.52, .950
Ryan Warner, 98, D, South Island Royals, BCMML (midget major)
n/a, I believe he was just called up at the Christmas break
ACQUIRED SINCE 2013 CAMP
Mark Nerland, 96, D, Camrose Kodiaks, AJHL (junior A)
27 G, 1-3-4, 25 PM
Darby Gula, 98, D, Eastman Selects, MBAAA (midget major)
29 G, 1-7-8, 16 PM
ATTENDED 2012 CAMP
Carter Cochrane, 96, D, Chilliwack Chiefs, BCHL (junior A)
42 G, 12-22-34, 42 PM
Justin Baudry, 96, D, Steinbach Pistons, MJHL (junior A)
31 G, 6-21-27, 33 PM
DRAFTED, HAS NOT ATTENDED CAMP
Auston Matthews, 97, RW, U.S. NTDP U-17
14 G, 9-8-17, 8 PM
Daniel Woolfenden, 97, D, Culver Academies, U.S. U-16
- Keep in mind it's possible the Tips have signed some of their other prospects, but haven't announced it. It's also possible some of the players above have been dropped.
- Jost, Everett's first-round pick in last year's bantam draft, is the big key for the Tips. Jost is obviously the real deal, as he's leading the BCMML in scoring and was named an all-star at multiple tournaments. However, Everett is in a tenuous position with Jost. Jost appears to be seriously considering the NCAA route, and he's played several games for Penticton of the BCHL, which is an NCAA factory.
- Indeed, all of Everett's top young offensive prospects (Jost, Khodorenko, Matthews, Durflinger, Mehr) are big question marks. Jost, Khodorenko, Durflinger and Mehr have all been to camp with the Tips, but none have signed on the dotted line, and there's no guarantee any of them ever don a Tips jersey. Matthews hasn't been to camp, but he is one of the few members of the NTDP's U-17 team that hasn't made an NCAA commitment, so maybe there's still hope for Everett there. Regardless, Matthews wouldn't play for Everett until 2015-16, after his NTDP commitment is complete.
- Since Nerland and Gula were acquired/listed after training camp, I have no idea whether they're interested in Everett or the WHL. I know Nerland attended camp with Victoria in 2012, don't know about 2013. I believe Gula was in camp with Brandon in 2013.
- The prospect who may be having the best season is Hart. Hart may be just a eighth-round draft pick, and he's playing in a U-15 league rather than midget major. But his numbers are off-the-charts good as statistically he's been far and away the best goalie in the AMMHL.
- In summary, Everett has a high risk/reward list. There is some serious elite talent on Everett's list, but that talent has yet to commit to the Tips. If Everett can land just some of that talent, combining it with the very promising 1997-born players already on the roster, the future will be very bright indeed.
Most recent Silvertips blog posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.