Ex-Packer Sharper arrested on suspicion of rape
Sharper, who played 14 seasons in the NFL with Green Bay, Minnesota and New Orleans, was arrested and booked Friday and released on $200,000 bail just before midnight. He faces a Feb. 14 court appearance.
LAPD said it is investigating Sharper in connection with two sexual assaults that occurred in October and earlier this month in the West Los Angeles area.
New Orleans Police Department spokeswoman Remi Braden said Saturday in a statement that NOPD is also investigating an allegation of sexual assault filed against Sharper on Sept. 24.
Sharper, 38, played in the NFL from 1997-2010, mostly with the Packers. He retired after the 2010 season.
Sharper was selected All-Pro six times and chosen for the Pro Bowl five times. He played in two Super Bowls, one with the Packers as a rookie and a second with the Saints after the 2009 season.
He has been working as an analyst for the NFL Network.
"Darren has been suspended without pay until further notice, effective immediately," said Alex Riethmiller, spokesman for NFL Network, in an email Saturday.
- NFL, CBS extend Thursday night football deal 1/18/15
- Belichick, Brady go to 6th Super Bowl after Patriots rout Colts 45-7 1/18/15
- Source: Kubiak to become Denver coach 1/18/15
- Luck, Colts fall to Patriots again 1/18/15
- Super matchup: Patriots vs. Seahawks for the title in Arizona 1/18/15
- Vegas: Patriots, Seahawks pick 'em for Super Bowl 1/18/15
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.