One applicant who fits two of those categories is Ron Wambolt, who won election to the Council in 2005 but lost his bid for re-election when he finished third in a tight 2009 primary behind now-Councilwomen Adrienne Fraley-Monillas and Lora Petso. Wambolt lost a 2013 challenge to Fraley-Monillas. The other former councilman is Steve Bernheim, who won election in 2007 but declined to run for re-election in 2011. Frank Yamamoto won the seat in 2011 but resigned due to illness in late 2013 creating the vacancy.
The other two applicants who lost 2013 council contests are Randy Hayden, who lost to Councilwoman Kristiana Johnson, and Alvin Rutledge, who lost to Councilman Strom Peterson. Board and committee members among the applicants are Levy Committee member Harry Gatjens, Library Board member Tim E. Healy, Climate Protection Committee member Val Stewart, and Planning Board and Transportation Committee member Neil Tibbot.
Other applicants are Deborah Anderson, Kathleen Dewhirst, Philip Lopresti, Thomas W Mesaros, Carreen Nordling Rubenkonig, Timothy A. Schell and Stephen C. Schroeder.
The six current Council members plan to interview applicants Tuesday, Jan. 28, and select the new member at the first meeting in February.
The new council member will serve through the 2015 election.
Four of the six current council members first joined the council by appointment before winning full terms.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Introductory statements from unopposed school board candidates Phillips and White Sep. 3
- Rep. Larsen to meet riders on Lynnwood-Seattle bus trip Tuesday Aug. 31
- Introductory statements from Edmonds Council candidates Petso, Tibbott Aug. 31
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 4 Aug. 28
- Introducing charter-review candidates in County Council District 3 Aug. 27
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.