Giffords, who was shot while meeting with constituents in January 2011, and her husband, retired astronaut Mark Kelly, will take part in the 1:30 p.m. hearing of the House Judiciary Committee.
The couple will explain their support for Initiative 594 which would require background checks on most private gun sales.
The House committee also will be conducting a public hearing on Initiative 591 dubbed the Protect Our Gun Rights act. It would prevent the state from adopting a background check law that is more restrictive than federal law and would ban confiscating of guns without due process.
Hearings on the competing initiatives also are planned at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Senate Law and Justice Committee.
Most recent The Petri Dish posts
- Syrian refugees welcome in Washington, Inslee says Nov. 16
- Rep. Larsen seeks input on Trans-Pacific Partnership trade pact Nov. 12
- Unions blast Boeing for paring jobs since 2013 tax break extension Nov. 9
- Larsen will help negotiate federal highway bill Nov. 6
- ‘Absolutely elated’ Eyman celebrates initiative’s success Nov. 5
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.