Liias will focus on economic opportunity, schools
After being sworn in on the Senate floor, Wednesday, Jan. 22, Liias issued the following statement:
"I look forward to working on the 21st District's priorities: expanding economic opportunity and creating jobs, investing in the next generation of students by fully funding our education system, protecting our environment and building a transportation system that works for all."
The Snohomish County Council had appointed Liias a day earlier to replace former Sen. Paull Shin, who had resigned due to illness after 19 years in the Senate.
The Liias appointment lasts through the November election, when Liias plans to run for a full four-year term.
Liias will be ranking Democratic member of the Senate committee on natural resources and parks, and will serve on the transportation committee and the committee on trade and economic development. Liias had served six years in the State House of Representatives before his appointment to the Senate
The 21st Legislative District includes most of Edmonds, unincorporated areas north of Edmonds and Lynnwood, all of Mukilteo, and part of south Everett.
Most recent South County Politics posts
- Sen. Chase wants state protection of insurance shareholders Jan. 26
- State Rep. Stanford heads Legislative Accountability Committee Jan. 22
- Meadowdale student finishes week as page in State Senate Jan. 21
- Rep. Peterson asks legislators to honor MLK by helping schools Jan. 20
- Lynnwood Transportation Board to discuss options Tuesday Jan. 19
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.