The slide occurred today about two miles south of Mukilteo, agency spokeswoman Kimberly Reason said.
The owner of the tracks, BNSF Railway, requires a 48-hour waiting period following a slide before passenger trains may use the tracks. Amtrak must wait at least until Saturday before resuming service on the Cascades and Empire Builder runs.
Backup bus service is being provided to Sounder passengers traveling north this evening and tomorrow morning into Seattle.
Sounder service will resume on Monday if no other slides occur, Reason said.
Most recent Street Smarts posts
- How-to deal with collisions in the I-405 toll lanes Oct. 10
- How one man maximized Good To Go for I-405 toll lanes Oct. 9
- State to wait and see on I-405 toll lanes at difficult merge (updated) Oct. 8
- Road near Lake Serene to close for two days Oct. 8
- Free right turn exacerbates Mukilteo ferry backups Oct. 7
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.